AlphaServer ES40 has code name Clipper. It was positioned as a mid-range server for Internet, database/business intelligence, business and high-performance technical applications.
Here are the characteristics:
- Introduced in 1999.
- Family: Tsunami
- The core logic chipset is Tsunami/21272.
- 1- 4 CPUs,
- Model 1: 16MB RAM, 6 PCI-X slots.
- Model 2: 32GB RAM, 10 PCI-X slots.
- CPU types
- EV6 500 MHz, 4MBcache,
- EV67 667 MHz, 8MB cache,
- EV68AL 833MHz, 8MB cache.
- Up to 16GB for model 1,
- Up to 32GB for model 2.
- PCI-X slots:
- 6 for model 1,
- 10 for model 2.
- Runs OpenVMS starting from 7.1-2.
- Runs Tru64 starting from 4.0E.
AlphaServer ES40 can be replaced by AlphaVM-Pro. AlphaVM-Pro can be configured to directly emulate AlphaServer ES40. The virtual AlphaServer ES40 can have up to 32GB RAM. AlphaVM-Pro performance on suitable host hardware will be better than that of the real ES40 for most types of workloads.