The AlphaVM-Basic emulator is a basic version of the AlphaVM product. It is designed for hobbyists. It’s key features are as follows:
- AlphaVM-Basic emulates an Alpha system with one CPU and up to 1GB RAM.
- AlphaVM-Basic supports OpenVMS and Tru64/Digital Unix as the guest operating systems. Linux boots as well.
- The AlphaVM-Basic performance depends on the host system. The CPU performance is on the level of slow EV4 CPU. The CPU performance is much slower than that of AlphaVM-Pro (a factor of 5 to 10).
- AlphaVM-Basic uses network based license checking. It periodically contacts our licensing web site to check the license validity. If such a dependency on the network is not acceptable, please consider purchasing of AlphaVM-Pro. A single AlphaVM-Basic license allows to run a single AlphaVM-Basic instance at a time. It is possible to have multiple configurations but only one of them can run at a time with a given license.
- AlphaVM is sold as is, without support. However, we release maintenance releases at our discretion. The customer has access to these builds. If you need support, please consider AlphaVM-Pro.
- EmuVM does not assist migrations to AlphaVM-Basic. Please consider AlphaVM-Pro if you need the migration.
- We provide 30 days of free evaluation before you purchase.
|Supported host OS||Windows Server 2012R2, 2016, 2019.
Windows 8, 10,
Linux Debian 9,10,
|Supported host CPU||Intel Xeon x64|
|Maximal number of emulated Alpha CPUs||1 basic CPU|
|Emulated CPU type||Depends on the chipset: EV4, EV5, EV6.|
|Maximal emulated RAM||1GB|
|Number of emulated PCI hoses||1-2|
|Number of emulated PCI slots||3-6|
|Emulated serial line mappings||socket/virtual|
|Emulated serial line ports||COM1/tty00,COM2/tty01.|
|Emulated SCSI controllers||ISP1040,|
|Disk mappings||container files|
|CDROM mappings||ISO image|
|Tape mappings||tape container files|
|Emulated FibreChannel||Not available. In most cases can be migrated to emulated SCSI.|
|Emulated IDE||Not available. In most cases can be migrated to emulated SCSI.|
|Emulated Floppy disk||Not available.|
|Emulated USB||Not available.|
|Ethernet emulation||Tulip NIC: 21x4x.|
|Ethernet transfer throughput||Depends on the host NIC, usually 1000Mbps|
|Supported console types||Only serial, VGA not supported.
Usually the graphics can be redirected to an X server via X Windows.
|Supported OpenVMS versions||From 7.1-2|
|Supported Tru64/Digital Unix versions||From 4.0e|
Please register on this site. When you register we will contact you per email.
AlphaVM-Basic is licensed on annual basis.
|Name||Price, EUR||Price, USD*|
|AlphaVM-Basic license for the first year||400||450|
|AlphaVM-Basic annual license extension||200||250
The annual extensions must be without gaps.
We can provide a free 30 days evaluation.
The steps to get AlphaVM-Basic evaluation:
- Register at emuvm.com. We will contact you per email.
- Let us know that you want to evaluate AlphaVM-Basic. We will provide access to an AlphaVM-Basic kit for the registered user. We will also provide an AlphaVM evaluation license. The license works by means of connection to our license server.
- Download an AlphaVM-Basic kit. The downloads will become available in the download section for the registered user.
- Install AlphaVM and create your virtual Alpha configuration.
- Configure the AlphaVM license. The license details will be provided per email. Configure the license as follows:
host='license.emuvm.com'; port=19991; user='<provided-per-email>'; password='<provided-per-email>';The license section should indicate success.