AlphaServer ES80 was introduced in 2003 as a part of new line servers ES47/ES80/GS1280 based on new EV7 CPU. These servers are built using new chipset called Marvel, which is structured in building blocks called 2P blocks, standing for 2-processor blocks. AlphaServer ES80 is in the middle.
Here are the characteristics:
- The chipset is Marvel.
- Enclosures: Rack/Cabinet.
- Model variants:
- Cabinet Model 2, 1x2P, 2CPUs, 16GB, 16PCI,
- Cabinet Model 4, 2x2P, 4CPUs, 32GB, 32PCI
- Cabinet Model 6, 3x2P, 6CPUs, 48GB, 48PCI
- Cabinet Model 8, 4x2P, 8CPUs, 64GB, 64PCI.
- CPUs: 1-8, EV7 (21364), 1GHz/1.15GHz, 1.75MB scache.
- RAM: Up to 64GB.
- Runs OpenVMS starting from 7.3-1 + update kit or later.
- Runs Tru64 starting from 5.1B + IPK or later.
AlphaServer ES80 can be replaced by AlphaVM-Pro. Please note that ES80 uses one of the fastest produced Alpha CPUs – EV7. Therefore, there are strong requirements to the host system to have adequate virtual Alpha system performance.